Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Self Defeat


"I have to be perfect"
"My artwork has to be perfect"
How many of you tell yourself this? I know I do. Sometimes I find myself looking so hard for perfection (or what I think is perfect), I loose sight on what I am trying to achieve. For example; I took an oil painting class and had to turn in a total of six paintings at the end of the semester. My first painting was a self portrait, and I ended up spending almost two months on that painting, because I was trying to be perfect. I was trying to create something everyone thought was perfect. In the end, I only had two months to finish 5 other paintings. One thing I learned from that class was time management, and not everything is perfect, which is what makes it beautiful.
This semester has been all about time management, and reminding myself that perfection isn't what I'm looking for. I want my artwork to be unique and speak to the viewers. I want to tell my story through my art and for others to relate to it.

2 comments:

  1. Kaegan, I know exactly what you mean. I certainly don't consider myself anywhere near as good as you... but I often (I even did it just a minute ago) will be working on something, get frustrated and throw it away/delete it/smash it.


    I'm getting better at not doing this EVERY time I try to make something, but still don't show my stuff off.

    How is your week going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I certainly don't consider myself anywhere near as good as you..." <----Self Defeat. How can you say that? People connect with you and your work, and that is what it is all about.

      My week has been INSANE! I have been so busy (making clay, sculpting clay, painting); the art department is my new home. Haha. How is your week?

      Delete